Speech & Language Provision
Welcome to Cherry Tree Academy's Speech and Language Enhanced Provision
Mrs Donnelly is our Speech and Language Lead Teacher and oversees the Enhanced Provision, ensuring that all children have clear and relevant targets that are worked on daily.
Our Speech and Language Enhanced Provision:
We are privileged to have 10 spaces available for children who have an Educational Health Care Plan (EHC) for Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SCLN). Our Enhanced Provision is proud to provide tailored and specialised support from Elklan trained staff members both within the mainstream classroom and during one to one interventions in our dedicated Speech and Language room.
Early Intervention Scheme for children with significant speech and language needs in North Essex
Cherry Tree Academy in Colchester is now able to offer children with a developmental language disorder around speech, and/or expressive/receptive language difficulties an Early Intervention Placement in our Speech and Language Unit. This will need to be their only need and therefore they will not meet the criteria for an EHCP. There will be up to five places per year and all early intervention children will attend our setting for up to 5 terms in Reception or KS1.
Places will be allocated to Children who need direct therapy. Places will be offered to children who are likely to be resolved within three to five terms. If the child’s difficulties persist after five terms of intensive intervention an EHCP application would be suggested.
For the purposes of school transport, children will be considered as attending an enhanced provision and will therefore be eligible for school transport if they live more than 2 miles away.
Whilst a child is part of the Early Intervention program, they will be registered at their local school and Cherry Tree as a duel registered pupil. Their local school will be involved throughout the child’s time in our speech and language hub by visiting them in the provision and attending regular meetings to review progress.
Benefits for the child:
- Specialist provision as soon as the need is identified;
- Working as part of a class of mainstream children of the same chronological age, with support to generalise and apply the skills learnt to different situations;
- Support from a specialist speech and language therapist at least once per week, with daily follow up sessions with an ELKLAN trained member of staff.
- The opportunity to develop their speech, language and communication skills to an age appropriate level so that they are able to return to the local school as soon as possible
- Support for staff from their local school in order to further develop their skills in speech, language and communication in order to ensure a smooth transition at the appropriate time.
Places for children with an EHCP for Speech, Language and Communication needs
- All of the Enhanced Provision children work on their therapy targets daily with Mrs Donnelly.
- Pre-teach and revision sessions
- Opportunities to practise their SALT targets regularly throughout the day
- Two therapy sessions with a Speech and Language Therapist each week
Joining the Enhanced Provision:
For a child to start in the Enhanced Provision they would have to meet some basic admissions criteria:
- have a current EHCP showing Speech and Language as the primary need
- be open to working with a Speech and Language Therapist weekly
- be in North East Essex or Essex/Suffolk boarder
Many of the children who join our provision have been referred by a Healthcare Professional or a member of the Specialist Teacher Team for SLCN; however if you feel like your child meets the above criteria and would benefit from a place with us please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do all that we can to help.
We welcome visits for perspective parents and children and invite you to come and take a look around our happy and welcoming school. As part of the tour you will have a chance to meet Mrs Donnelly and Miss Young (Our SENCO) to talk about the needs of your child and to ask any questions you may have.
If you decide that Cherry Tree is the school for you we would also welcome invites to the child's Annual Review / Transfer Review, so that we can offer advice or support to ensure our provision is the correct placement for the child.
All admissions to our Speech and Language provision would need to be made through the Annual Review or EHCP Application process via Statutory Assessment Service (Essex County Council).
Speech and Language outside of the Provision
At Cherry Tree we know how important Speech and Language is to all children and understand the importance of getting it right early. That is why we have partnered with North Essex Speech and Language Therapy Service to assess children's speech and language skills as they enter EYFS. This screening allows to find any speech or language delays and begin early interventions. All children that are assessed as having a Speech and Language need are given targets to work on 3 x week with their class teacher or LSA, they also spend time working with Claire Horwood, our speech and language therapist or Miss Seager, a trainee Speech a Language Therapist fortnightly.
We also take part in the Government acclaimed NELI Programme to get the children off to the best start.